Fresh green apple pickle, uncooked. This seb ka achaar is hot, spicy and intense with a fresh flavour.
Making your own pickles and accompaniments is really quite easy. Simple uncooked pickles like this add another dimension to an Indian meal, and can be done quickly for a family meal.
The accompaniments you serve with a dish often highlight the effort you have taken, and will make people remember what you cooked. In India, pickles, chutneys and snacks are vastly popular, and are often quite easy to make. The trick is to use fresh ingredients, and for many of these pickles do not make them too far in advance of the meal.
This is a fresh pickle and will keep only a few days if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Wash the apple and dry it completely making sure there is no moisture or dust. Core and cut the apple in small pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, turmeric powder, asafoetida and cut apple. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes
- Heat a small pan on medium heat, and add the mustard oil. When hot, add the crumbled chillies, mustard, nigella and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds splutter, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- When cooled, add to apple mixture, and mix well. Allow to stand for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, then serve.
- This is a fresh pickle and will keep only a few days , even if refrigerated.