A fresh uncooked green apple pickle. This seb ka achaar is hot, spicy and intense.
Making your own pickles and accompaniments is really quite easy. Simple uncooked pickles like this add another dimension to an Indian meal and can be done quickly for a family meal.
The accompaniments you serve with a meal will demonstrate the effort you have taken and will make people remember what they have eaten. In India, pickles and chutneys are hugely popular and are often very easy to make. The trick with uncooked pickles like this one is to use fresh ingredients and do not make them too far in advance of the meal.
This is a fresh pickle and will keep only a few days if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
green apple achaar recipe
- Wash the apple and dry it completely, making sure there is no moisture or dust. Core and cut or shred the apple into small pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, turmeric powder, asafoetida and cut apple. Marinate for 30 minutes
- Heat a small pan on medium heat, and add the mustard oil. When hot, add the crumbled chillies, mustard, nigella and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds splutter, remove them from the heat and allow them to cool.
- When cooled, add to the apple mixture, and mix well. Cover and leave for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, then serve.
- This is a fresh pickle and will keep only a few days even if refrigerated.