This dish from Kerala, mootay moli, is a simple coconut masala with halved eggs. So easy and so simple.
Use the best quality, freshest eggs you can for this dish. The eggs have to be hard-boiled, but not excessively so. You do not want runny yolks, either. Accurately following technique described below should provide the results you need – a kitchen timer is always a good idea when cooking with eggs.
Despite its appearance, this dish is quite hot. A feature of Keralan recipes is the contrast between the creamy coconut milk and the bite of chilli.
An interesting variation is that instead of using boiled eggs, you poach the eggs in the coconut masala. Prepare as described but without the eggs. Before serving, break each egg into a cup, make a depression in the sauce at the edge of the kadai, then gently pour the egg into the depression. Repeat this for each egg. Gently ladle sauce over each egg and allow to cook for around five minutes.
- Using a pin, prick the rounded bottom of each egg. Place them in a small pan and add enough cold water to cover them by about 1cm. Bring the water up to a simmer, then cook for six minutes. Remove from the heat, pour out the water,and cover eggs with cold water to stop cooking process. Leave for two minutes, then peel eggs. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan or karahi over a medium heat until the oil becomes clear. Allow oil to cool, then add the turmeric and chilli powder and cook for one minute.
- Add the eggs to the masala and fry for one minute, until eggs are well coloured by the spices. Use a slotted spoon to remove eggs from pan and set aside.
- Add the onions, ginger, chillies, curry leaves and salt, then cook for five minutes, until onions are softened.
- Stir in the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Cook for five minutes, or until coconut milk has reduced to a creamy consistency.
- Stir in the jaggery.
- Halve the eggs, place onto warmed serving dish and pour the sauce over. Sprinkle with garam masala and coriander leaves.
- Use the largest free-range eggs you can get for this recipe.